Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Meet Joe Black



I had the chance to watch this movie over the weekend. I bought the VCD a year ago, but then again I never got the chance to watch it. Just recently I receive a portable DVD player as a gift. So I've checked all the CDs, VCDs, and DVD that i have and chance upon Meet Joe Black. I admit I was intrigued with this movie before and since it was on sale I bought it even though I know the chance to watch it is very slim.

The movie was very nice. Dealing with death, love and betrayal. I love the three main characters and actors. Brad Pitt as Joe, Anthony Hopkins as Bill and Claire Forlani as Susan - Bill's daughter. It was refreshing to see an very angelic face of Brad Pitt, and I love Claire Forlani's face especially when she smiles and the way she pouts her lips. It was a first Anthony Hopkins movie that I saw. No, I haven't seen Silence of the Lamb nor will I watch Hannibal. But I must say, I was very impressed with his casual delivery of lines yet you feel the intensity and the feelings he is trying to expressed and convey.

This movie thought me something about love. To quote Bill Parrish "Love is passion, obsession, someone you can't live without. If you don't start with that, what are you going to end up with? Fall head over heels. I say find someone you can love like crazy and who'll love you the same way back. And how do you find him? Forget your head and listen to your heart. I'm not hearing any heart. Run the risk, if you get hurt, you'll come back. Because, the truth is there is no sense living your life without this. To make the journey and not fall deeply in love - well, you haven't lived a life at all. You have to try. Because if you haven't tried, you haven't lived. " Many people nowadays marry for all the wrong reasons that is why they end their marriage with a very simple reason - irreconcilable differences. Because either one does not want to compromise, communication is lacking in their relationship, respect is not given and love is not in abundance.

Another lesson learn is about caring for others. "I knew I wasn't going to write the great American novel, but I also knew there was more to life than buying something for a dollar and selling it for two" by Bill Parrish when saying he doesn't want to sell his company to Bontecou. Saying he is not after the profit, but what he wanted and not exploit the company at the expense of others. Sure he is rich, but he doesn't want to become richer just for having another profit. Do the businessmen of today have the same idealism that Bill Parrish had? I hope many still have.

One last quote I really love is again from Bill Parrish "tell you my one candle wish: that you would have a life, as lucky as mine where you can wake up one morning and say, "I don't want anything more." How selfless he is wishing for others on his birthday.

I wished that before I reached my 65th birthday, I would wakeup and say I don't want anything more but for others to be having the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment